Applications Open –
Programme 2021 – overview
Are you developing a technology with applications in healthcare?
MedTech SuperConnector is now accepting applications for its next cohort of postdoctoral researchers and postgraduate students from all disciplines from its eight partner institutions to join its accelerator programme.
The accelerator programme is a six-month learning journey providing participants with entrepreneurship training, masterclasses and access to domain expertise along with project funding (up to £45,000 accessible over 12-months). Eligible applicants will also be able to apply for the salary replacement scheme (part-time) covering the six-month accelerator programme learning journey to take time away from the lab and develop their medical technologies into business ventures (up to £25,000 including on costs). The accelerator learning content is part-time but participation in the programme is a full-time commitment!
What you’ll receive
Early Career Researchers
- Access to a consumable & travel allowance for 12-months (up to £45,000)
- Entrepreneurship training
- Business coaching
- Access to incubator / accelerator facilities
- Access to industry networks
- Eligible applicants may apply for a six-month part-time salary replacement (up to £25,000 including on costs)
- Opportunity to demonstrate the impact of research
- Fast-track commercialisation
- More commercially aware postdocs and students
- Access to a consumables allowance for prototype development for 12 months(up to £45,000)
- Part-time salary replacement for researchers released onto the programme (up to £25,000 including on costs).
How the programme works
Starting with a three-day bootcamp participants will learn the basics of entrepreneurship, venture building and will have begun the process of mapping their path to commercialisation. Over the next six-months participants will be taken through a series of masterclass covering topics such as regulatory advice, health economics and intellectual property rights along with 1-2-1 business coaching & access to domain expertise. By the end of the programme participants can expect to have a greater understanding of:
- Key startup methodologies e.g. Lean Startup, Business Model Canvas, Value Proposition Canvas, etc
- Industry and/or chosen target market stakeholders
- Partner networks and landscape to progress the venture
- How novel innovations are adopted the NHS and international & private sector organisations
Through the accelerator programme you can also expect to gain the skills to:
- Develop a venture for commercialisation
- Build successful customer relationships
- Pitch and present a viable idea/venture
Who should apply
Who should apply?
This programme is open to research fellows, postdocs & late stage PhD candidates with a medical technology in development in the lab at one of our partner institutions*.
- Technologies should be at a minimum of proof concept stage
- Researchers looking to explore the commercialisation or licensing of their technology
- Applications are accepted from both institutional and non-institutional IP
- Postdocs and PhD candidates must have support from their Principal Investigator or research supervisor to be on the programme
*MTSC partner institutions include Imperial College London, Queen Mary University of London, Bucks New University, Francis Crick Institute, Royal College of Art, Royal College of Music, Institute of Cancer Research and Royal Veterinary College
How to apply
Step 1: Submit a completed application
(closing date 5th September 2021 11:59pm BST)
Step 2: Panel Interview
(week of 27th September 2021)
Step 3: Invitation to join the programme
(week of 4th October 2021)
Step 4: Start the programme
(week of 1st November 2021)
Roliner by unhindr: Intelligent and adaptive prosthetic liner aims to keep amputees mobile Read more
Smart textiles to help people who have neurological conditions recover upper limb function Read more
A potential game-changer in the treatment of chronic respiratory conditions Read more