MTSC Challenge AcceleratorMental Health, Wellbeing & Happiness
Mental health problems can affect all sectors of society and at any point accounting for a quarter of all ill health in the UK. One in four of us will experience mental health problems each year with mental illness being the single largest cause of disability at an estimated annual economic and social cost of £105 billion*.
As a participant in the MedTech SuperConnector, you will work with teammates to devise and commercially develop a new technology aimed at improving mental health, wellbeing and happiness: Think a diagnostic tool, robotic device, data-driven solution, or wherever your ingenuity takes you.
With access to entrepreneurship training and generous financial support, your team will have a chance turn an idea into a successful venture in just six months.
The programme is open to postdocs, PhD students and Master’s students from all departments at our partner institutions.
You will get
- The opportunity to form a team with researchers and postgrads in other disciplines on an exciting venture that could turn your business or science expertise into important social benefits.
- The chance to develop your entrepreneurial skills through masterclasses, specialist resources and practical experience developing a new technology startup.
- Financial support of up to £60,000 per venture (equity free) and a £1,000 per month stipend for each participant.
No pre-existing idea or team is needed: Just a passion for the programme’s goals, and technical skills in any relevant area, including psychology, software development, data science, storytelling, product design, business, or branding, to give just a few examples.
Eligible applicants from partner institutions will be invited to an initial two-day hackathon, where they will have the chance to team up with fellow researchers and postgrads with complementary skills and formulate initial technology ideas. Following the hackathon, selected teams will be invited to join the full six-month project, with a time commitment of at least 15 hours per week.
Accelerator programme offer
- Each successful participant will receive a Monthly stipend**
- Each team will have access to:
- Up to £60,000 for consumables and product development
- Dedicated advisor support and facilitation
- A structured product development plan, with agreed milestones
- Mentoring support
- Industry pitches
- Entrepreneurship training
- Networking opportunities
- Partner incubator/accelerator facilities
- Access to a Coworking space
- Meeting rooms
Who we are looking for
- Research Fellows, Early Career Researchers (ECRs), Postdocs, PhD & Master’s students at one of our partner Institutions
- Research Fellows must have written support from their P.I. to be on the programme
Specific academic disciplines or technical expertise is not a requirement though the following skill-sets are desirable:
- Business Professionals
- Finance Experts
- Branding / Communications / Marketing Specialists ⁃ Psychologists / Social Scientists / Behavioural Scientists
- Performers / Storytellers
- Software Developers
- Computer Scientists
- Data Scientists
- AI Specialists
- Product Designers
- Service Designers
*The Five Year Forward View For Mental Health, Feb 2016. **Tax will be the responsibility of the individual
Become a member
Join our mailing list to receive updates about Medtech SuperConnector.